Top Tips for Making a Household Move Easier
Moving to another house may be exciting, but it is also a lot of work. Whether you are going to hire professional movers or you will do things on your own, you still have to take care of different tasks here and there.
Planning your move carefully and ahead of time and using these helpful tips will promise a stress-free move.
Make a Plan
First, you need to make a plan. Decide when is the most convenient time to move and then from there, create a timeline.
Finding a Moving Company
Find several full-service long distance moving companies online and compare their rates. It is best that they do an on-site estimate to get a more accurate rate. Don’t forget to ask about the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) number especially if you are moving to another state.
- Get your supplies, like boxes and bubble wrap, early so you could pack whenever you have free time.
- Sort your things before you pack. Get rid of items that you no longer use to lighten your load. Note that moving companies usually charge by weight.
- Pack the things that you don’t often use first.
- Pack valuables, like jewelry, in a separate bag or box and personally transport them to the new house.
- Don’t forget to label your boxes to simplify unpacking.
- Pack several clothes that you and your family could use for a few days in a different suitcase.
Inform Important Parties
Notify all concerned parties about your change of address. This should include the banks, schools, employers, utility, and other subscriptions that you might have. You should also visit the post office and apply for a change of residency so they could update your mailing address.
A Few Days Before Moving Day
Contact your moving company and confirm the date and time. Make sure to settle all payments and keep all receipts together in a binder.
Make an inventory of the things transported by the moving company. Do not forget to notify the movers of items that need insurance and put these in writing.
Following these tips will help make your moving experience easier. Just don’t forget to call the moving company on the day of the move to confirm that they’d be arriving on time.